Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Porkers

There was a joke on Radio 4, and it went:

One day two cars passed by each other. One driver rolled down the window and yelled, "Goat!" and so the other driver did the same, yelling, "You're the goat!". Then he turned the corner and hit a goat.

Ok. Now, you have to give credit to the radio for calling this a "bad joke segment" or "bad joke vault". But what's interesting is that it's an old joke, and the real animal mentioned is a pig.

Read the joke again. Now you call someone a pig, I get it. It makes sense. You call a lady a cow and well, we know that one. You call someone a goat, and I'm going hmm, gee, do I look like I need milking?

Now I know how Babe felt.

I get that the pig is off-bounds for Muslims. I get that this is a Muslim country. But I must admit that it's surprising to see that in the 21st Century, it's taboo to joke about a pig. Which is, in this sense, not even literal.

Of course, I have to say that it may not have been the way that it was told to the DJ, but then, it's that someone else's whatever.


Original picture, with a happier goat from
Source.

Also, just bumped into this while looking at Blogger's running flow of published blogs. Maybe it's just me, but when I run into feminists, they usually have solid points, but are more often than not rather angry people. Which doesn't always give their points a fair chance at bat.

No comments: