Tuesday, November 01, 2005

All Tuk-ed In... Or Not

I'd like to think of it as getting paid in clothes shopping. Essentially, what I'm making from the upcoming concerts with the Bangkok Symphony will be used to cover the tails I'll be wearing for them. I've used my usual coat/jacket often for concerts (and once, a white coat on loan from the National University of Singapore Symphony Orchestra for their concert), but this will be my first tux with long tails. Not cheap, but then still likely cheaper than if I were to get it elsewhere, and it's an investment as I'd need it eventually if not for this concert. Plus, thankfully I got a recommendation of a place to go to get it done, which shaved off 1,500 baht extra that was asked for by a different tailor I met earlier.

The less interesting part of it is that with my schedule as it is, it's hard enough squeezing in the time and the energy to get it all done. The more interesting part of it is that to go to the tailors, one has to pass by the less than reputable zone of Bangkok, where the... apanama... go-go girls are dressed up in what they think are Halloween costumes.

Getting to the tailors engaged the use of a tuk-tuk, only my second time in one, surprisingly, and the first time in the city area. Don't see what the big deal is with them, other than the sense reminiscence of being in a roller-coaster. I'd imagine it somehow more apt to call it tut-tut, as in of the finger wagging sort, except that finger wagging would require a free hand, which one is better to do without in order not to be flung into the rest of traffic, which isn't so bad, considering that outside of tuk-tuks and motorcyle taxis, Bangkok traffic doesn't really move much anyway.



From this
link to someone's recollection of a makan place called Baan Thai.

Just a couple of end-notes... one is that I've noticed that not all computers I've used in cyber cafes have the Trebuchet font I like to use on my blog - the default being (etch) Times New Roman. And in the blog posting prior to this one, some of the material presented was edited for brevity.

No comments: