Friday, May 19, 2006

Presidential Trivia

I've had a fun time going through the White House website. Some things I've learned thus far:

1. The United States originally had a Democratic-Republican Party, that was opposed to the now defunct Federalist Party.

2. George W. Bush's first presidential election wasn't the first really disputed election. A previous grey area was with the other son of a previous president, John Quincy Adams. With four real candidates (Ross Perot doesn't count, ok), and no clear majority, what you might call an alliance or a merger formed. This resulted in Adams as President instead of Andrew Jackson (who took the presidency later), though Jackson had a larger take of electoral and popular votes. The interesting thing is that the House of Representatives decided the election.

3. Indiana is a top-runner in my university hunt. Thus, reading Abraham Lincoln's words were interesting: "My father ... removed from Kentucky to ... Indiana, in my eighth year.... It was a wild region, with many bears and other wild animals still in the woods. There I grew up.... Of course when I came of age I did not know much. Still somehow, I could read, write, and cipher ... but that was all."

4. Nixon was apparently "nominated for President by acclamation" and I have no idea what that means.

5. This one I already knew, but often confused myself with Eisenhower - it was Franklin D. Roosevelt who had four terms as President. His relative, Theodore Roosevelt, was the first one to visit a foreign land - Panama.

No comments: