Friday, May 12, 2006

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

Many things to blog about my trip to Singapore, but first...

Many, many thanks to Frank at Frank Brothers in Singapore's Esplanade for making me a CD copy of the informal live recording last year's Chulalongkorn University Viola Ensemble concert in Chiang Mai.

For those interested, click this
LINK for a low-bitrate audio file of:
Andante e Rondo Ungarese
composed by Carl Maria von Weber
Andrew Filmer, viola solo
The Chulalongkorn University Viola Ensemble
Assoc. Prof. Col. Choochart Pitaksakorn, music director.

It's 3.33MB with a daily download maximum at 15MB, so if you face an inability to download (which may also result in certain graphics going missing on this blog), please try again tomorrow. I've been against embedding audio in blogs, but I must say, for this, I was quite narcissistically tempted. I'll place a permannent link somewhere in the sidebar, eventually.

I did this piece for the concert, for the university audition and now I'm prepping it for the upcoming recital, since all three have different audiences. It's interesting to have a record of how it's changed from then till now. Technically, the audition DVD was better, but then that was a home recording, and the one in Chiang Mai was live. But artistically, November 2005 was a little more daring and with more edge, something to keep in mind and get back at least to some extent. Not to mention the interpersonal musical dynamics of working with an ensemble.

No comments: