Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I live in interesting times


Well well, this should get interesting. The Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) has decided to pressure Myanmar to have, well, some common decency, after years of "non-interference". This is of course a good thing for the Myanmar people, but what's interesting is that this will inevitably open up a whole can of worms - after all, even though Myanmar has no doubt been the biggest bad guy around here, there's plenty of other muck in the region to go around. Like videoed nude ear-squats. It'll be interesting to see how ASEAN does both with this and after this.

I'm remembering why a little over two years ago, I decided that once I leave the house, I wouldn't come back as more than a house guest. I suppose that hasn't entirely changed - since I'm still here temporarily, albeit longishly temporarily amounting to what's now eight and a half months before I ship off to half way around the world. Someone has pushed the role of local pressure valve to me again, which means that within a couple of weeks, I'd have polished up my ability to remain as silent as possible - or as absent as possible. And after going through more religious liberalism in the past year, I have a problem with someone writing out what I as part of the congregation should pray for, and be there a God, I'm guessing he'd be uncomfortable receiving uncomfortably recited prayers as well. And so far, nobody I've met knows what "cenacle of prayer" means. And that's just for starters.

Back to Bangkok tomorrow morning... I don't like the constant travelling but there are other things I dislike more. Eight and a half months. Man, I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.

No comments: