Sunday, April 24, 2005
Singapore, May, and Musical Moments
I’m scheduled to be in Singapore from the 30th of May to the 2nd of June; just bought the tickets today. My parents will be there at the time, and I’m using an early birthday present from them to fly there and spend some family time… I'm thankful for the opportunity and also confident I’m still on the safe side of that little boundary line called financial independence. What with me selling off the car, anyway. Should be fun, meeting up old and new friends, and most importantly, getting at least one bow rehaired.
May looks pretty great actually, if I’m careful enough with expenditure to have some extra cash for Singapore. The masters isn’t due to start yet, I’ve got a couple of public holidays, there’s the Hilary Hahn concert (I always imagined there were two Ls in Hilary but apparently not), we’ll be performing the Brahms sextet and the Rolla viola duet, Lim Soon Lee might visit, and Amanda will be back from the States.
On the other train, there are many great musical moments, and here are some of my favorites, not in the least a complete list nor in any particular order. I’ve chosen these based on the composition itself, not because of the merits of particularly great performers:
1. All I Want is A Room Somewhere from My Fair Lady
2. The melody-counter melody section at the end of You Can Go But Be Back Soon from Oliver!
3. The soprano entrance in the Gloria from the Coronation Mass by Mozart
4. The Amen from Rossini’s Stabat Mater
5. The second theme from the Ruslan and Ludmilla Overture
6. The Polovetsian Dances by Borodin
7. The finale of Act 1, The Barber of Seville by Rossini
8. I Believe, by Blessed Union of Souls
9. Two Beds and A Coffee Machine by Savage Garden
10. Wacko’s World by the Animaniacs
11. One Day More from Les Miserables
12. The Animee from the Suite for Jazz Piano Trio and Chamber Ensemble by Claude Bolling
13. The entrance of the soloists in the Sinfonia Concertone for Two Violins, by Mozart
14. The opening theme of Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No. 3
15. The Bells of St Sebastian from Nine
16. Grandma’s Rootin’ Tootin’ Beer Jig
OK, I admit I made up that last one, but if there were such a song, I imagine it’d be there.