Friday, March 04, 2005

Tradition, Piped-in Music, and Socks


After an invitation to return to my alma mater, Penang Free School, to coach the Choral Speaking team for a third year, it turns out the expectations are a bit much – that they want me to go back within the month, which is just not possible, what with work and projects with Mahidol and Chulalongkorn Unis. A pity really, perhaps a little lack of planning, and effort to keep up relationships with the few alumni with keen interest? Pity. Tradition is important, especially in a place like Free School. It is a word which means more than the annual speeches, where right before that some military cadet shouts out things like “Rrrrrusooo - Khiiiak!” which always sounded to me to be something from the vocabulary of Gollum or Ja Ja Binks. It should mean maintaining ties, culture, a belief, a concept of what makes things worthwhile.

On another note, it was a rather musical enigma why my colleagues a floor below my apartment could hear me practicing – especially from their bathroom. After much experimentation, it turns out it’s a kind of piped-in music – from my kitchen sink down the pipes. It seems like a prelude to every piece is plugging up my sink. As such it seems that Harry Potter has practical application… that, and “You can’t ever have too many socks.”

3 comments:

eg9 said...

Nice photograph of Patience, btw. She's a good lot prettier than I imagined.

~tengman.k.~ said...

Piped in music you say? At my place we don't have that but the living room/dining room area seems to work a bit like an ampitheatre so if I play downstairs my cousins can hear it pretty well over at their place. I think.

AF said...

The term "plug and play" just occured to me.... In my old place in Island Glades sound carried like crazy across streets. When I got to my piano lessons, my teacher would go, "Well, you seem to like that piece and awful lot, so let's hear it." More practical uses of the acoustics were in the broadcasting of neighbourly family feuds.