Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Radio and Italics

It’s been a while since I tuned in to radio…

1. I’m a member of the faculty of music at a university, and I have no idea what some of the stuff they put on popular music radio is nowadays.
2. The following lyrics by, um, Rod Stewart I think: Have I told you lately that I love you? That there’s no one else above you? What’s the deal with the “else”: which seems to be saying that there’s one person above you, but baby that’s all, no one else, so it’s cool.
3. I miss the Morning Crew. I mean the original Morning Crew, not the hacks that they have on now. Back in school, I would actually listen to that mutation of music called pop, because of them. Thankfully I hear that Fly Guy has formed his own radio station, but I don’t know what happened to Lil’ Kev.
4. Conversing with other musicians, it is interesting to note that in the field of modern music, only three have really stood the test of time: Elvis, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. Honorable mentions to ABBA, the Eagles and the Bee Gees. Nada for the Backstreet Boys and eh? for N'Sync.

I also rediscovered my tapes! Some of which are still alive, wowzers, including Classic Rock: The Living Years, which I admit is in a sense also a mutation, but a very very good mutation of music. Plus, it’s rock. I mean when you have a word like rock which has power both as a noun and a verb, you don’t mess around with semantics, man. Best orchestral arranging of popular songs I have heard, and unfortunately of course, not available on CD anymore (when it was available, it was the time before I needed to shave, and the cost of a CD was something like a month’s allowance, which would be shaving more than a hole in my wallet, which mind you, is a very awkward place to have a razor of any sort.)



I've missed my collection... of CD covers. The discs are with me in Bangkok.

1 comment:

tsh said...

guilty. i have classic rock - the living years as well..

geeks of the world, unite.