Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Random Thoughts Again


Last night was fun. I should host parties a little more often. Interesting that when musicians get together socially, the last thing they want to do is listen to music. Job hazard. I hear five-star chefs eat a lot of McDonald’s.

I once tried out this online quiz about working conditions and the last question was “Do you listen to music at work?” The answer I really wanted to put was: I hope so!

Tried out bacon rolls instead of bacon strips. Good for sandwiches. Still bad for health, I imagine, but still, it’s back bacon and not streaky.

Isn’t it curious that we use Arabic numbers in a Latin/Romanic letter system? I mean, we’re used to it, but imagine if it were, say Chinese or Thai.


Still don't care for Chick Corea.

I rediscovered listening to the theme song of Sesame Street and Boccherini’s Cello Concerto. Great stuff. Two page cadenza, wowzers, and I get the feeling the second movement is where Bernstein borrowed the opening notes and chords for West Side Story’s “Maria”.

Also trying out playing the cello again, but for me it conflicts too much with my violin and viola playing.

I may just pass over Bach for Brahms or Reger, like, on a more a permanent basis. It’s too unforgiving, and needs a certain coldness. For the latter, in a way I’m glad that Bach wrote his solo stuff just for violin and cello. I’m sure it’s a minority report.

No comments: